Harmony Grove United Methodist church began in 1836 as Crossroads Church. A cemetery from Crossroads Church is located on Lawrenceville Highway adjacent to the strip mall behind the Jimmy Carter Blvd Home Depot. In 1859 a fire destroyed the original church and a new church was built on land that was donated to the church. The new church was renamed Mount Calvary. Following another fire the church moved to its present location at 50 Harmony Grove Road in 1881. Again land was donated for the use of the church. Harmony Grove was officially organized in 1882. Harmony Grove UMC continues to move forward as we live out our mission to make disciples. Enpowered and guided by the Holy Spirit, we reach out and welcome all people to Christ’s love through worship, spiritual growth, service, and fellowship. Our vision is Families Serving Families…in Our Community.
John Wesley and the early Methodists were particularly concerned about inviting people to experience God’s grace and to grow in their knowledge and love of God through disciplined Christian living. They placed primary emphasis on Christian living, on putting faith and love into action. This emphasis on what Wesley referred to as “practical divinity” has continued to be a hallmark of United Methodism today. Our United Methodist heritage is rooted in a deep and profound understanding of God’s grace. This incredible grace flows from God’s great love for us. The ability to call to mind God’s love and God’s gift of Jesus Christ is a rich resource for theology and faith.” Because of what God has done for us, we offer our lives back to God through a life of service. As disciples, we become active participants in God’s activity in the world through mission and service. Love of God is always linked to love of neighbor and to a passionate commitment to seeking justice and renewal in the world.
Becoming a church member
The doors of the church are open every Sunday for those who would like to join. We warmly welcome you into the family of God at Harmony Grove UMC. There are three ways to be received into the membership: Transfer of membership from another church; confession of faith for those who have been baptized but have never held membership in the church; and those persons who have never held membership in the church and have not been baptized. For further information please call the church office at 770-921-7747 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to streamline the management of the church, we are using the One Council model. Each member of the One Council represents their area (or committee). The other members of the council act as advisers. This model has been effective in minimizing time commitments of the members and helps to streamline the decision making.
The former sanctuary, Pollard Hall, has recently undergone a renovation to a modern multi-purpose facility with multi-media capabilities. The main area is used for dining, yoga, concerts and programs.
The entrance to the main sanctuary is the Narthex where refreshments are available at the welcome center before and after services. The classrooms are on halls branching off this area and downstairs.
The Berrier Building contains a basketball court and a meeting room. Outside is a picnic area and children’s playground.